The main activities of DIET, Sohra may be briefly highlighted as follows:-
- Training and Orientation of the following groups:-
- Elementary School Teachers (both pre-service and in-service)
- Secondary School Teachers (in-service education)
- Headmasters and head teachers of elementary schools in the district
- Members of BRCs, VECs, SMCs and Community Leaders
- Resource Persons who will conduct suitable programmes for the target groups mentioned above at centers other than the DIET
- Academic and resource support to the elementary and secondary education systems in the District in other ways, example by,
- Extension Activities and Interaction in the Field
- Provision of Services of a Resource and Learning Centre for Teachers and Instructors
- Development of Locally Relevant Materials, Teaching aids, Evaluation tools, etc, and
- Serving as an Evaluation Centre for Elementary Schools
- Action Research and Experimentation to deal with specific problems in the district in order to achieve the primary objectives of developing elementary education.
The role and function of DIET in the present as well as future context should be as per the main thrust put forward in R.T.E., N.C.F. 2005, N.C.F.T.E. 2009, B.I.T.Es, S.S.A., R.M.S.A. and the various policies and programme set upon from time to time.